Tuesday, February 16, 2010

To Win A Total Body Makeover

Have you ever entered a contest a little nervous of what happens if you win? We all know when someone wins the lottery that their lives are forever changed and as they kiss their old troubles goodbye, only to embark on a whole new set of problems. Well, on February 2nd 2010 I did just that. Working in my windowless little office at home I could hear Good Morning Texas doing their segment with Dr. Bill Johnson, MD, MMM of Innovative Med Spa. He was discussing the latest technologies in cosmetic procedures called FAMI – Fat Autograft Muscle Injection: Sub & Intra Muscular Facial Fat Transfer.
FAMI represents a minimally invasive, fat transfer procedure that addresses the loss of fat that people see in their faces over years of aging. Dr. Johnson harvests fat from areas you do not want it, refines it, and then carefully re-injects it into specific areas of your face. It is truly a mixture of science and art, and in turn, offers a worthy substitution for fillers or face lifts. Dr. Johnson plans the procedure by comparing a current photo of the patient to a photo of the patient when they were 18-20 years old. At 18-20, our bodies have the most fat in the facial areas, and photos from this age provide accurate representations of what was, and what could be after fat transfer. At Innovations Medical, all FAMI procedures are done while awake, under local anesthesia. This technique allows the patient to walk out of the office and lessen post procedure downtime.
I began thinking to myself how cool it is that they can rearrange your body fat like furniture. This I can relate to. Then they began discussing their ‘contest’ and I was on the website before they could break to commercial. There was this cute little pink box that looked like this:

And I went on to read more: 

Sign up now for a chance to be the next New Beginnings total makeover winner!
We’re giving away an amazing total body makeover to one lucky contestant. The winner, who will be chosen by our staff, will be the person that we feel will receive the greatest benefit from our treatment options. In order to participate, you should meet the following criteria:
• No more than 30 lbs overweight
• Between 40 and 60 years of age
• A resident of the greater D/FW metroplex
• A generally healthy person with no chronic medical conditions
• No previous cosmetic surgeries
• Willing to do the procedures and participate in the program

I got very excited and scared at the same time. What if I won? How would this impact me? Will I look like me or my wicked twin? I spent the better part of two days thinking about it. They wanted pictures and an explanation in 500 words or less, why should I be the 2010 New Beginnings Makeover winner? Right. That was a hard one. Why did I think I should be the winner? Who wouldn’t want to? Last year their winners received some $250,000.00 in cosmetic procedures…so on Thursday I entered the contest:

You had me at hair and make-up! I'm a married, 44 year old mother of two, and I sing in a rockin’ county girl band. Seeing how there are no plans to cash in my chips anytime soon I sure like to slow down these hands of time that are less than kind. Oh yeah, I have a great job and hope to inspire women to get out there and start writing the next chapter of their life ever after, but when it comes to Beauty and the Beast there is no love. If it weren’t for fake eyelashes, Botox, Restylne , push up bra’s, waist cinchers, spray tanning, hair color, clothes that camouflage and others weapons of mass destruction I just don’t know what I would do! But this contest…ha… is like a nuclear weapon! I will use it responsibly and without malice. I will not boast or brag but tell the truth; I am MIDDLE AGED woman who REFUSES to gracefully SURRENDER my collagen or the rest of my body for that matter…but I will need a little help.

I got a phone call the following Tuesday, “Come in for pictures, and bring your two piece.” OMG! Pictures in January, in a swimsuit? “Oh, and don’t wear any makeup.” Geeze, if I win, will I be insulted?
Picture day went well, and painlessly. They were kind and truthful and by then I really wanted to win. They had others they were considering and would pick their winner and notify them the following Monday, February 15th. This would make for an interesting weekend to say the least.
I was feeling negative and positive all at the same time, what a charge. I figured that I wasn’t the winner even though on Sunday I had a funny feeling. My husband said to me, “I think you’re going to win” and I said, “I do too and my palms are sweating just thinking about it”. I guess I was just being really hopeful and it was fun just thinking it could happen.
Monday passed quietly, my phone didn’t ring. That evening I was taking my kids to their respective events and I got a call. I thought it was courteous of them to let me know that I didn’t win. A man’s’ voice said, “I just wanted to let you know, you didn’t win.” And I said, “I kinda figured that since my phone didn’t ring…and then he interjected, “IM JUST KIDDING! YOU WON!”
Check out Good Morning Texas Wednesday morning at 9AM, February 17th for the “Before Interview.”
Now I am nervous.



No comments: